Captives are insurance vehicles owned by non-insurance parents that insure or ‘capture’ the risks of a parent (known as a first-party captive) or the risks of a parent’s customers or employees (known as a third-party captive). They provide a well-established alternative or addition to buying insurance through the traditional insurance markets.
Our multi-skilled team of lawyers and business advisers provides a full range of advice to help you minimise risk and maximise opportunities in captive projects and transactions - wherever in the world you are doing business.
Our work includes advice on matters such as:
- Feasibility studies to help you analyse the cost/benefit of establishing a captive, whether it be a wholly owned captive, a cell captive within a protected cell company (PCC) or incorporated cell company (ICC), a mutual or some other form of alternative risk transfer (ART) vehicle.
- Financial modelling, domicile choice, program structure and policy wordings.
- Setting up captive insurance vehicles.
- Captive performance monitoring and service provider reviews.
- Captive issues linked to business mergers, acquisitions, disposals, and joint ventures.